(also applies to xampplite)
What could be the search engine terms for this?
- start xampp automatically
- xampp as a service
- xampp in windows startup folder
Here we go with the story:
I always favored simplicity and ease of life that’s why I have many articles relating to productivity(has also remodeled the links on my blog to simplify things up). Then since I am always using xampp as a development environment. I want it started when I start my PC.
So how it is going to be?
- as a service
- as a startup program for windows(more clutter on your taskbar)
- other things(don’t know/forgot)
As a service
You can set this one by:
- Going first to your installation directory(in my case it’s c:\xampplite). It could be somewhere else depending on your installation. Have also my full version in c:\x2\xampp
- Once your in the installation directory find xampp-control.exe and click/double-click to launch it.
- You should first stop all running instances of your apache2 and mysqld/mysql to do this.
- Click the checkmark next to Apache and Mysql with the header name Service.
- It will warn you that it’s installing as a service which of course is what we like it to do. Click Yes.
- Do step 5 also with Mysql. We’re almost done.
- Click Start » then Run
- Type services.msc(it can also be done in control panel under administrative tools which is a way lot of click than this one).
- Find apache2 and mysql services
- Double click each one and set the startup type to Automatic (You will be presented with 3 options: Automatic, Manual, Disabled)
Automatic – will start it automatically at startup
Manual – user’s will have to start it up manually i.e. by issuing command like net start apache2
Disabled – will disable it.
****be warned though that any change in the services just like the registry can cause your system to stall***
- Click the start button to manually start it(just for the session though). The next restart it’ll be automated.
- Do the same with mysql.
As a startup program
- Find xampp_start.exe from your installation directory
- Press Ctrl+C to copy it or right-click the file and hit copy.
- Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and right click on it and hit Paste Shortcut
- When you restart it’ll be starting also and you’ll see something like this:
- You can stop it by issuing the xampp_stop.exe command in your installation directory.
***another worth mentioning is that if you right click again on the shortcut and hit properties, try to change the run option to minimized. This way the shortcut will be on your taskbar once started.